The Church of the Dormition of the Mother of God
Plyos, Sobornaya Gora Street
The Dormition Cathedral was built on the territory of the old Plyos fortress in 1699. Before the cathedral there was a wooden church that had been burnt. It was the first stone building in Plyos. A simple and beautiful church built according to the type of octagon placed on quadrangle, with an elegant hip roof bell tower of pipe shape. It is modestly decorated with small window frames and the simplest friezes. The octagon ends with one cupola. The bell tower is finely decorated: its hip roof is all cut with dormer windows of various shapes. The bell tower is 25 meters high.
In 1828 a large summer Kazan Cathedral was built to the north-east from the Dormition Cathedral and it became the winter church. Funds for the construction were donated by the Plyos bourgeois V. Shishkin. In the second half of the nineteenth century, the cathedral complex was surrounded by a brick fence. In the twentieth century, the Kazan Cathedral and the fence were destroyed by a soviet edict. Only the Dormition Church with the gate of the fence has survived to our days. Now we can see how the whole complex of the Cathedral looked like only in Levitan's painting A Quiet Monastery, an unquestioned masterpiece of the artist.