The Church of St. Barbara the Great Martyr
Plyos, Varvarinskaya street, 19a
The Church of St. Barbara the Great Martyr was built in 1821 in place where the wooden St. Barbara Church had been before. The wooden church first was mentioned in the seventeenth century.
The Church of St. Barbara stands on a high part of the bank, not far from the Levitan's hill, and plays a special role in the image of the town from the Volga River. The bell tower is finely decorated as all the Plyos churches of the nineteenth century. Inside the church gospel glue paintings have survived to our days. The slender, upward-looking silhouette of the Church of St. Barbara the Great Martyr is on one of the best paintings by Isaac Levitan, Golden Plyos. Since it was painted, the church almost has not changed. The two most worshipped icons are kept there: of the Great Martyr Barbara in the church and of St. Nicholas in the chapel.